UPDATE: Deputy given Narcan after opiate exposure shares story
CANNONSBURG, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A Boyd County Sheriff's deputy was given Narcan after being exposed to an opiate during an overdose call.
It happened Tuesday afternoon in the parking lot of a retail store along U.S. 60 in Cannonsburg.
Deputy Jason Nattier says it seemed like a normal overdose call.
"It was a situation where he wasn't breathing at the time when I first got there, and my priority was to get him out of the car and get him to where he was breathing again," Nattier said. "Once he was out of the car, we noticed some powder substance on his clothing and you kind of wonder if it's something but sometimes it's not."
Nattier says it wasn't until he started to drive away from the scene that he felt the effects of something.
"It almost felt like I was intoxicated. It just didn't feel normal, it didn't feel right, something didn't feel right so that's when I went to the EMS station," Nattier said.
A med unit met Nattier at the EMS station and administered Narcan.
Sheriff Bobby Jack Woods says Nattier was feeling the effects of an opiate, believed to be Fentanyl, and could have been on his way to an overdose just from the exposure.
Nattier was taken to the hospital and released.
"You always have that fear somewhat, but it's kind of a 'not going to happen to me' type scenario," Nattier said.
Nattier was the first on the scene which is why he immediately started to help the patient.
"We're public servants, you know what I mean, so like I said, my priority was to get him out and get him breathing again, regardless of how many you go to, you can become callous to the situation but at the end of the day they're still people so the priority was getting him out and getting him breathing," Nattier said.
EMS and deputies are dispatched at the same time, so typically a medic would help the victim.
Boyd County deputies do not currently carry or administer Narcan. It's something Sheriff Woods says he has looked into and continues to look into but it is also a costly measure.
"The drugs out there now, it's not cookie cutter like it used to be," Nattier said. "You had pills and marijuana, now you have dangerous substances that don't look dangerous, even in this case, heroin to most people wouldn't look dangerous but now with the Fentanyl and the existence of Carfentanyl and things like that, synthetic, it's very, very dangerous, it's very real."
Nattier's situation reveals another danger officers are facing on the front lines of the drug epidemic.
"You hear about these instances happening in other places but for it to be here, brings it home and makes it real for a lot of people," Nattier said.
CANNONSBURG, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A Boyd County deputy was given Narcan after being exposed to an opiate during an overdose call.
The sheriff's department says the deputy was responding to a call of an overdose in the parking lot of a retail store along Rt. 60 in Cannonsburg about 2:30 Tuesday afternoon.
The deputy was exposed to an opiate, believed to be Fentanyl, and was given a dose of Narcan.
The deputy, who has not been identified, was taken to the hospital, treated and released.