UPDATE: Fire at Walmart in Logan

By  | 

LOGAN COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) --
We’re learning new information in the wake of a short lived fire at the Walmart store in Logan.

The City of Logan Fire Department tells WSAZ it was sparked in the claims department of the department store. Fire Officials say there were metal racks there with plastic tote bins on them. Inside the bins was merchandise that was being returned to the store.

Fire officials say it’s not clear yet what actually caused the fire, but it was something in one of those plastic totes on one of the bottom shelves. They add, the bins were labeled before the fire, but they all melted during the situation, and so they’re not sure exactly what was in them.

We’re told the fire was accidental, and the store’s sprinkler system was activated, working as it was designed to in keeping the fire contained to that one area.

Logan Fire officials add the store was contacting the health department to come in and check grocery items to see what needed to be disposed of and what could be kept.

No injuries were reported among the firefighters or store occupants at that time.

The store reopened at 10:00 Sunday morning.



Fire crews responded to a fire at the Walmart in Logan.

It started around 9:14 p.m. Saturday.

According to the City of Logan Fire Department, the fire started in the back supply room.

No one was hurt.

There's no word on the extent of damage.