UPDATE: Grenade type device found by TSA causes delays at Yeager Airport

Published: Jan. 23, 2017 at 10:19 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
UPDATE 1/23/17 @ 12:40 p.m.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- More information has been released about an incident that caused delays Monday morning at Yeager Airport, including the name of the man who carried an inactive grenade into the airport.

John Gregg Goodykoontz of Bridgeport, West Virginia, was issued a citation for attempting to carry a prohibited item "into the sterile part of the airport" and transporting or possession of a hoax bomb, according to a news release from Yeager Airport.

Yeager Airport Executive Director Terry Sayre said, "We regret any inconvenience caused by the delay to passengers caused by this incident, but the safety and security of the public and of our employees is always our primary concern."

The incident happened about 9:20 a.m, causing delays for more than 30 minutes at the airport.

ORIGINAL STORY 1/23/17 @ 10:19 a.m.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A suspicious device caused some delays at Yeager Airport in Charleston Monday.

According to a news release, the suspicious item was detected at the TSA security check point.

Airport officials say the bomb squad with the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department responded to the scene and found the item was an inactive grenade type device. It was found in a carry on bag of an outbound passenger.

The airport posted on its Facebook page, the immediate terminal area was cleared while the bomb squad was on scene investigating.

The airport was given the all clear within 30 minutes of the incident.

“We regret any inconvenience to the traveling public but the safety and security of the public and of our employees comes first," Yeager Airport Executive Director Terry Sayre said. "I appreciate the exemplary work of the TSA personnel, Yeager Airport Police, and the Kanawha County Sheriff’s Department Bomb Squad for the professional manner in which they handled this incident."

The airport is now functioning normally.

Keep checking WSAZ Mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.