UPDATE: Three dead in Rowan County, Ky. shooting

Published: Jan. 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
UPDATE 1/9/17 @ 8:30 p.m.

ROWAN COUNTY, Ky. (AP) -- Authorities allege a man killed his mother and his girlfriend, then opened fire on deputies who responded to his rural Kentucky home. The man is then believed to have set his own home on fire before turning his gun on himself.

The Rowan County Sheriff's Office said deputies went to the home Sunday afternoon. Officers made contact with a male, who police say barricaded himself inside the home before firing multiple shots and striking a deputy in the arm.

As the gunfire subsided, the home became engulfed flames. Trooper Scott Ferrell said officers later found three bodies inside.

Rowan County Coroner John P. Northcutt said a preliminary investigation showed that 51-year-old Garry Morrison died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. His mother, 71-year-old Anna Morrison, and his girlfriend, 32-year-old Latoya Cooper, died of gunshot wounds.

UPDATE 1/8/17 @ 10:05 p.m.

ROWAN COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - The Rowan County Sheriff says three people are dead after a shooting Sunday near Morehead.

The sheriff says two women and the suspected shooter are among the dead.

Troopers tell WKYT that they were initially called to a home on Island Fork Road for a disturbance between a man and a woman. They say the man shot at deputies.

Troopers say a deputy was shot in the hand. He is expected to be okay.

The sheriff tells WKYT that the man killed the two women before killing himself.

Firefighters from the nearby Route 377 station were also called to a home near the scene for a fire. The sheriff says the man set the home on fire before killing himself.

Keep clicking on WSAZ Mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.


ROWAN COUNTY, Ky. (WYMT) - Kentucky State Police responded to a barricade situation in Rowan County around 6 p.m. Sunday.

They said they shut down a stretch of Island Fork Road off of KY-99.

Troopers said they believe an armed man barricaded himself inside of a home. KSP tells WYMT one officer was shot in the hand. He was taken to a hospital and is expected to be alright.

No other information has been released.

Keep clicking on WSAZ Mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.