Advertisement

Man found dead after porch fire

(WSAZ)
Published: Mar. 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ASHLAND, Ky. (WSAZ) -- An elderly man has died following a fire at his home in Ashland.

It happened about 10:45 p.m. Tuesday in the 4700 block of Boyd Street.

Boyd County Coroner Mark Hammond says at this time he is not sure if Larry Moore, 69, died from a medical issue before the fire started.

Hammond and Ashland Police tell WSAZ Moore had long history of health issues. They say he was sitting in a chair on his porch and may have been smoking a cigarette, when he possibly suffered a medical condition.

Ashland Police tell WSAZ they believe that caused Moore to drop a cigarette onto a blanket, causing the blanket and chair he was in to catch fire.

Hammond says Moore was a smoker, but can’t confirm a cigarette caused the fire.

Hammond says Moore’s son called 911 after smelling smoke. He says Moore was badly burned.

Hammond says a preliminary autopsy indicates Moore died before the fire started. A complete autopsy will determine the exact cause of death, but that report may not be complete for several weeks.

Keep clicking on WSAZ mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.

Latest News

Latest News