Man found dead after porch fire

(WSAZ)
Published: Mar. 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ASHLAND, Ky. (WSAZ) -- An elderly man has died following a fire at his home in Ashland.

It happened about 10:45 p.m. Tuesday in the 4700 block of Boyd Street.

Boyd County Coroner Mark Hammond says at this time he is not sure if Larry Moore, 69, died from a medical issue before the fire started.

Hammond and Ashland Police tell WSAZ Moore had long history of health issues. They say he was sitting in a chair on his porch and may have been smoking a cigarette, when he possibly suffered a medical condition.

Ashland Police tell WSAZ they believe that caused Moore to drop a cigarette onto a blanket, causing the blanket and chair he was in to catch fire.

Hammond says Moore was a smoker, but can’t confirm a cigarette caused the fire.

Hammond says Moore’s son called 911 after smelling smoke. He says Moore was badly burned.

Hammond says a preliminary autopsy indicates Moore died before the fire started. A complete autopsy will determine the exact cause of death, but that report may not be complete for several weeks.

Keep clicking on WSAZ mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.