UPDATE: Milton Middle School evacuated; no evidence of actual gas leak

Published: May. 21, 2018 at 12:18 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
UPDATE 5/21/18 @ 6:10 p.m.

No evidence of a natural gas leak was found inside Milton Middle School, despite a strong odor earlier Monday that closed the school earlier and made some students sick.

The gas company tested inside and around the building and found no detectable leak.

As a result, school will open Tuesday and be closely monitored.

Investigators are not certain what caused the smell, which left some students with headaches and upset stomachs.


Milton Middle School has been evacuated and students are being sent home early Monday afternoon, Cabell County Schools spokesman Jedd Flowers said.

It happened after reports of a natural gas leak, which sickened some students. More than 20 students are reported sick with symptoms including headaches and upset stomachs.

The building was evacuated temporarily, and occupants were given the all clear to go back inside before it was evacuated again.

Flowers said the natural gas smell was strongest in the eighth-grade wing.

We have a crew at the scene.

Keep checking WSAZ Mobile and WSAZ.com for the latest information.