UPDATE | Woman identified in fatal fire

By  | 

SPENCER, W.Va. (WSAZ/WV MetroNews) -- UPDATE 3/15/19 @ 9:45 p.m.
Family members have identified the woman who died in a fire Friday morning in Spencer as Teeia Goodson.

Family members tell WSAZ an elderly man, Richie Gray, was able to escape the home uninjured.

The fire started at a home on Front Street around 8:30 a.m.

Gray's sister, Janette May, said Richie noticed the house was filling up with smoke and told Goodson to crawl down the stairs with him. "He said he thought she was right behind him and when he got to the bottom of the stairs and opened the door, he realized she was not behind him. He tried to go back after her," May said.

However, Richie was unable to go back into the home and Goodson died in the fire. Their dog was also found dead after the flames were put out.

"Everything else can be replaced, but a life can't and I'm very sad for her," May said.

Investigators from the West Virginia Fire Marshal's office said there were no working smoke detectors in the home. "Had there been, we probably could've gotten both of them out. Unfortunately, the smoke was so thick inside that only one of them was able to escape," Investigator Ryan McFarland said.

Investigators on scene said they believe the fire was accidental and started when a wood stove caught on fire. Firefighters said high winds fueled the flames, but the fire did not damage any surrounding homes.

UPDATE 3/15/19 @ 12:18 p.m.
The West Virginia Fire Marshal’s office and volunteer firefighters in Roane County on the scene of a fatal fire in Spencer today.

The fire broke out at a home on Front Street about 8:30 a.m. Friday. The woman’s body was found inside after the fire was out.

A elderly man in the home managed to escape without serious injury.

The name of the woman has not been released. Investigators are looking for a cause.

One person is dead after a fire in Roane County Friday morning.

911 dispatchers tell WSAZ it happened at a home on Front Street.

The initial 911 call came in around 8:40 a.m. Friday.

Three fire departments are still on scene.

A name has not been released.

We have a crew heading that way.

Keep checking the WSAZ app and WSAZ.com for the latest information.