UPDATE: Suspect Shot and Killed During Attempted Store Robbery

By  | 

UPDATE 3/11/11 @ 2 p.m.
PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (WSAZ) -- A man was shot and killed Thursday night after an armed robbery attempt at a Portsmouth carryout.

The shooter was a store clerk, the victim -- the intruder

In a city that's now ground zero in a state war on drugs, it's kill or be killed.

Debbie Jewell says this time, for her fellow store clerk brother, there was no choice.

Police say around 10:30 p.m. Thursday, known drug offender Kenny Gibbs came into the 6th Street Carryout with hands in pocket and demanded the clerk get money from the cash register.

That’s when police say a second armed employee came up behind Gibbs. His sister tells WSAZ.com's Randy Yohe that he said, "Drop your weapon."

Police say Gibbs instead turned and drew his gun, and the clerk fired multiple times.

Police say a wounded Gibbs went out the door. He fell and died in the parking lot.

“Yes, it was a showdown," Detective Jim Charles said. "Mr. Gibbs had a pellet gun, but it looked like the real thing.”

The detective says the clerk fired a legally owned 9-mm semiautomatic handgun.

"My brothers in shock, but it's so dangerous around here," Jewell said.

This is at least the third time in a few months in Portsmouth and Scioto County that an armed robbery victim has turned the tables on an armed robbery suspect -- when both had deadly force.

“Everybody’s getting gun permits," Jewell said. "It's not safe anymore, and that's really sad.”

Police say the carryout was robbed three times in the last two weeks, with a good possibility that the now, late Kenny Gibbs was the robber.

No charges are filed in this case.

Police will give their completed report to the county prosecutor, who will decide whether or not to take it to a grand jury.

PORTSMOUTH, Ohio (WSAZ) -- Police say a store employee shot and killed a man trying to rob a Portsmouth store Thursday night.

The shooting happened at the 6th Street Carryout around 10:30 p.m.

Detective Jim Charles says Kenny Gibbs, 41, of New Boston was killed during the attempted robbery.

Charles tells WSAZ.com that employees told investigators that Gibbs entered the store wearing a ski mask and demanded money from the register. As the clerk was getting the money, Gibbs was confronted by another employee who was armed with a gun.

According to Charles, Gibbs pointed a gun at the employee also holding a gun. That is when the employee shot him.

After being shot, Gibbs ran out of the store and collapsed in the store parking lot where he was pronounced dead.

Detective Charles says Gibbs was armed with a pellet gun. He also says Gibb has a past criminal record.

The store employees were not hurt.

Keep clicking on WSAZ.com for updated information.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus